Sunday, May 3, 2009

The Best Mother's Day Gift?

That's a trick question if you think about it. My best answer is really “my children”. After all, they are the reason I get the title “mother” and honestly, I work to earn the respect that goes with that title daily. Some days are tougher than others but after the deep heartfelt answer, let’s face it, we all have those certain gifts that brought us true joy. For me, the jeweled baby shoe charm was a great surprise and the blue topaz cocktail ring turns a lot of heads. While these wonderful, thoughtful gifts from my husband (hell, I'm not even his mother!) were beautiful and memorable there was another gift that was so touching it has become a part of my Mother's Day ritual years after it was given to me.

It was a gift from my husband’s sister-in-law. She had asked the mothers she was close with to email pictures of their children or grandchildren about a month in advance. I thought she would have a nice decorated photo frame or some other lovely magnet. But when they day came, every mother and grandmother received a flat white jewelry box. Inside the box was a beautiful pin and hanging from it were the pictures of our children. She had turned our pictures into Shrinky Dinks! She used a special safety pin that had hoops, so a picture or charm could hang off of it with a small jewelry link.

This creative, vintage gift was the hit of the party. I now proudly wear my "Mama Shrinky Dink Badge" every year. It is a Mother's Day custom that I really look forward to. The only difference this year is I have to replace the heart charm that sits in middle hole and create a Shrinky Dink for my youngest child, born last June.

This is great idea to do with your kids. It is inexpensive, clever and gives a mom a wearable annual keepsake. My only suggestion, after you finish cooling your shrinky dink put clear nail polish on it, otherwise, the pictures can be destroyed if a drink or any liquid spills on them.

Below is how to on the shrinky dink:

http://zakkalife.blogspot.com/2008/06/turning-photos-into-shrinky-dinks.html

This is the link to buy the pins and charms:

http://www.jewelrybeadsandfindings.com/245857.html

You will also need silver earring/necklace links to attach the pictures/charms to the pin. If you can't find it on the site you can find it any craft store.

No comments:

Post a Comment