Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Report cards, What do they mean?

Throughout my school career I remember report card day as a day my stomach was tied into knots. I always had conjured up a reason as to why I did not do well; the teacher was lying, they had me confused with someone else or there was the rare case when I even doctored my grades. I know, quite sad. Who knew that I would grow up to be someone who dedicates her life to education. As a parent, I am thrilled that my oldest child is doing so well in school. I almost feel bad for my parents who never got the wonderful feeling of receiving a good report card in the early years. As for parents that have a child much like I was, take heart, there are lots of ways to help. For one - keep reading this blog!

So what do these report card grades mean? In New York City public schools the grades are based on how well your child is achieving the standards. Children are evaluated on numerical indicators:

4 - Exceeds grade-level standards
3 - Meets grade level standards
2 - Approaches standards
1 - Far below standards

One of my fellow parents said to me today "A 4 is perfect, right?" It is very important not to think of these standards as absolutes. Learning is ongoing, and at times, a subjective process. Posing to our children that a grade of "4" means perfection and a grade "1" means hopelessness sends children a message that the grades are actually who they are and in some cases all they can ever be. The numbers show a snapshot of where a child is now, not forever. We must continue to work hard no matter the starting point. There should always be room for improvement for the top student or at least lots of encouragement and discussion about continuing good habits. Ask your child "why do they think they did well?", "What work habits are working for them?" For the child that is having some difficulty, start by empathizing with your child even if you feel frustrated or disappointed. Ask them about why they don't think they don't understand or what is hard for them. It is important to discuss that we can't be good at everything. Some things we just have to work harder for. Talk with their teacher about a plan to move your child in the right the direction. Ask about extra help and what you can do at home without turning you into a nudge. Consider sticker charts for motivation (example, 1 sticker for every book finished or math homework done correctly) keep it simple and lots of genuine, specific praise for effort. In the end, most children find their way. Just look at your facebook friends and remember what many of them used to be like!

No comments:

Post a Comment