Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Diary of an Unstructured Staycation

Okay, on a staycation with the kids and my hubby. I'm feeling a bit unmotivated and if your kids are home with you, I can't imagine you're doing much blog reading so this post will be a shorty! I'm also exhausted from staying up and watching the Olympics. My friend recently posted on facebook that she does not know why she cries during the Olympics, "...like I know them or something..." I was happy to see that my response was not the only one admitting that the Olympics are like one giant Hallmark Card commercial! Check out last weeks post about how you can introduce math, culture, geography, sportsmanship and the dedication of the human spirit all through the Olympics!

In any case, I was hoping to jam pack it with cultural events while I had my husband around but it seems we have done a lot less than I had hoped. Not only are their fewer free choices (the economy plays a part in this!) and it seems like low key agrees with everyone so I'm going with it. Here's a list of things we have done and while they may not seem like much perhaps one activity will be new to you and might help you to fill up the week for you and your kids:

-A Family Film program at the Metropolitan Museum of Art (one film short was Jackson Pollack demonstrating his technique). My 7 year old really liked it. I told him when the weather gets warmer we could try out his Pollack style OUTSIDE, in the park. I'll let you know how that goes!

-A Start with Art program at the Metropolitan Museum of Art

-The Museum of Natural History

-Rearranged the kids room (yes, all three kids aged 7,4 and 1 share a room!)

-A sleep over with a cousin

-Opened up a tent (IKEA) and the kids camped out in the tiny living room

-Garden State Plaza on Rte. 4 in NJ (the Lego Store was a hit!)

-Dinner with friends who live in a house and who have a playroom (any apartment kid's dream!)

-Stopped in our local NY Public Library and picked up a new reading series (I gently encouraged it and also let each child choose a movie)

-Emptied our piggy banks and counted away. We put aside some for charity and virtually shopped on Amazon for items the kids would like to save.

-Going to the Diamond District to trade in some unwanted gold for cash! (A walk on 5th Avenue to follow!)

-Friday, road trip to Albany and joining our friend, the coordinator of Art Night Schenectady

So there you have it. Enjoy your vacation and feel free to share your ideas and thoughts about what to do when you are feeling unmotivated on your staycations!


1 comment:

  1. Wow! Sounds like you guys had a fun-filled week. I agree about the Olympics. Even the commercials make me cry...

    ReplyDelete