Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Kids and Social Action, Tips For Parents

So, it has been a tough day, here. My oldest son's eardrum ruptured and my youngest son has a high fever and has been crying all day long. I am hoping in my shoe box of an apartment that my daughter miraculously escapes the germs that are dancing around the bedroom that all three kids share. Not fun. When there are days like this I try to remind myself, this is parenting and we all know from the current events that it could be much worse. Much , much worse.

On another note, I was talking with a friend about this blog. While I know I am kind of the "mom and pop" store of the blogs, with few bells and whistles and awards from fellow mommy blogetts, I hope that the information is no less helpful and continues to do what it sets out to do: to answer your questions, honestly and with humor. I can't pretend that I have the time to post daily. I have to be honest about what I can handle and deliver quality versus quantity. As always, your feedback and responses inspire me to do better, dig deeper and stay committed.

A quick note: In honor of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s birthday. My children attended the childrenforchildren.org event in NYC. We have done it for 3 years now and each time it has been a wonderful experience. Please take the time to learn about the ways you and your family can get involved and please keep it in mind for next year.

On to the question of the week: "How do we talk to our kids about a disaster like the one that occured in Haiti and other disturbing pieces of news?"

When I was in the classroom I required my students to keep up with current events. I would tell parents to encourage their kids to read the news weekly and look beyond the all too often sensationalized news stories that tend to defame the famous and force us to look at gory details that can give even the bravest of adults, nightmares. It was important to me that my students would be exposed to stories about kids doing amazing things or some new and interesting discoveries that were being made. But there are times when a tragedy is so terrible that it cannot help but rock the very soul of the human spirit and would be considered burying our heads in the sand as parents, if we did not discuss it with our children. September 11th, the Tsunami in the Indian Ocean, Hurricane Katrina, Haiti and stories such as these are hard to hide from our children and yet if not handled in the correct manner can leave our children feeling scared and anxiety ridden.

Keep in mind the age of your child and what they really need to understand.

According to the Kidshealth.org website, parents can take a number of steps to inform their children about the news on a "calm", need to know basis only "including the truths that a child needs to know."

Tips for Parents

Keeping an eye on kids' TV news habits can go a long way toward monitoring the content of what they hear and see. Other tips:

  • Recognize that news doesn't have to be driven by disturbing pictures. Public TV programs, newspapers, or newsmagazines specifically designed for kids can be less sensational — and less upsetting — ways of getting information to children.
  • Discuss current events with your child regularly. It's important to help kids think through stories they hear about. Ask questions: What do you think about these events? How do you think these things happen? These questions can encourage conversation about non-news topics too.
  • Put news stories in proper context. Showing that certain events are isolated or explaining how one event relates to another helps kids make better sense of what they hear. Broaden the discussion from a disturbing news item to a larger conversation. Use the story of a natural disaster as an opportunity to talk about philanthropy, cooperation, and the ability of people to cope with overwhelming hardship.
  • Watch the news with your kids to filter inappropriate or frightening stories.
  • Anticipate when guidance will be necessary and avoid shows that aren't appropriate for your child's age or level of development.
  • If you're uncomfortable with the content of the news or if it's inappropriate for your child's age, turn it off.
  • Talk about what you can do to help. In the case of a news event like a natural disaster, kids may gain a sense of control and feel more secure if you find ways to help those who have been affected.
By now, you probably know many possible ways you can help the people of Haiti. Please take advantage of these opportunities along with your children. My son's school was lucky enough to find a not-for-profit that will pick up everything from kitchen supplies to stuffed animals and have its staff hand it out, personally, on the streets of Haiti. This was a wonderful experience for my children to be able to make a decision to let go of some of their possessions in order to bring another child some happiness in their darkest hour.
    Again, I thank you for following my blog. I encourage you share it with friends, colleagues and education/parenting industry administrators.

2 comments:

  1. Oooh...sorry the kids are sick! Yick. Know how that feels. Love this post about kids and social action. My oldest is only 4, so I haven't really spoken to her about current events b/c I feel like she's not old enough to grasp. What I've mainly done is just explained to her about helping people that may be going through a hard time or need more than we do at the moment; she's helped me deliver groceries to an organization that stocks soup kitchens, for instance.

    I know every child is different, but is there roughly an age when you believe that children can begin to understand overwhelming current events like Katrina or Haiti?

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. What you are doing with your daughter is developmentally appropriate. Sharing just enough to let her know she is more fortunate and can help others, is enough. Viewing limited vivid images or some discussion of morbid details can wait until a child has reached about age 10 or 11 and for some children, a bit later. Know your child and watch their cues for when they have had enough. As for "understanding overwhelming current events", even as adults I don't think we ever fully understand but we and our children have to carefully filter the medias images just enough to be aware and become active in solutions.

    ReplyDelete