Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The Dog Ate My Homework...

Okay!  Well the dog did not eat my homework, exactly.  I'm feeling guilty because I did not prepare a real post for this Tuesday.   I took a much needed vacation to the Berkshires with the family and ended the "last" week of summer with some super barbeques and some great friends!

Besides, I am going to do a really nice post later this week highlighting my efforts as the coordinator of  my son's  School Year's Eve party.  I honestly don't know why I do this to myself!

What I do have to offer is some great educational attractions that my kids really enjoyed on our vacation .  

Old Sturbridge Village: It's a dream come true for all you, Little House on the Prairie, fans!  You can see  a real one room school house, an out house, a shoe factory, ride on a stage coach and pick up a cool sun bonnet in the store!  It's a lot of walking but we all had a great time and learned a lot stepping into New England in the 1800's. 

The Mass MoCA: The Museum of Contemporary Art.  Contemporary art can be tough on adults let alone kids, and in this place way too vulgar.  The upside:  Exhibits are clearly marked if it is "inappropriate" for the youngins.  So while there are some exhibits that might be fun, most are just not a good fit.  What they do have, is a unique children's space set up with funky retro interactive items which include a wall of guitars, old phonographs, a toy piano AND they have a working Atari 2600! With Space Invaders, Indiana Jones and a dozen other games, people!  Most importantly they have a creativity space in which children can create pieces of artwork from traditional arts and crafts supplies and recycled materials.   A nice cafe is located on the main floor with seating inside as well as picnic tables outside.  The food is really great and at not so bad prices, no complaints here! 

So stay tuned for a non-traditional post later this week!

 


1 comment:

  1. I love Mass MoCA, and I'm glad to hear it is so kid-friendly!

    ReplyDelete